cake lover?

Thursday, January 18, 2007

i heart clouds too

when i was in 2nd grade, my parents told me that i could redo my holly hobby room with new wallpaper and new carpeting and new bedding and new curtains. their only advice was to remember that this was what my room would be like for many, many years. in fact, they told me it would be the room i stayed in when i returned for college breaks, so that i best choose wisely and definitely not something i would tire of or outgrow. i perused the sherwin williams books and heeded their warning. i just knew i would NEVER EVER get tired of those cute little brown bears with their pink hearts. (if you look very closely you can see them). pink was obviously my favorite color and OBVIOUSLY that would NEVER change. um, so yes, i chose pink -- pink carpet, pink striped sheets and comforter, pink curtains (that mom actually made from the same striped sheets), and yes, a pink sky (because i do, and have always, loved clouds)!













my 2nd grade self may have been my own downfall. her beliefs in love at first sight and romance and soulmates and that she would never tire of pink still haunt me today, even though i try to rationalize what life and love really are. still, it's refreshing to return home and see that my pink room -- with its disney romance movie posters, the cross-stitch i made when i was in 8th grade claiming that "love is neither black nor white," the official star registry when brett bought that star for me and named it "por sempre," mom and dad's treadmill (because my room is now their workout room, paige's crib (because that's where paige and baxter now sleep) and of course my pink sky -- still represents who i am and was. do i still love the pink bears? of course i do.

10 comments:

Suzanne Lowell said...

can you believe that was my room?!?!

Anonymous said...

Hi Suz:

Actually I have been thinking about redoing your room! What do you think? Maybe light green satiny stripes?

I was the meanest mother ever - and I wouldn't let you watch ALF either!!

Suzanne Lowell said...

or eat spaghettios or potato chips either. that is why these are now my weakness. thanks alot mom!

go for the stripes!

love you! (you weren't that mean)

Susie said...

I LOVE that room! My downfall was trying to convince myself that I liked purple AND pink together and that unicorns were really the way to go. Even back then I think I knew I was kidding myself.

Isn't it amazing how much we have grown since then and changed our beliefs about everything under the sun?? sigh...

Anonymous said...

suzie,
i still love your room too and love that it hasn't changed a bit. long live the bears...
but what ever happened to the various piggies you that you collected?
sjs

Suzanne Lowell said...

oh sarah my dear. patience. i've got pictures galore of piggies that will soon make an appearance... so glad that you are reading!

Eva the Deadbeat said...

that is the coolest room ever! i want that pink cloud wallpaper in my bedroom! i love your stories Suzanne!

i decorated my bedroom with white and blue cloth and made it into a Degas world with ballet posters and ruffles everywhere (sewn clumsily by me) - oh, and window seats with cushions I made.

years later, i transformed it into a jungle themed room with lots of bamboo. later still, i painted my bureau drawers with my fav heroes: "Sid and Nancy," Wolfgang," (as in Mozart!?) and "Bowie." I also hung up posters of Lou Reed, Bowie and The Sex Pistols.

that was the most fun i ever had in one room! the rest of the time i was moving - it boggles the mind to think of all the bedroom "themes" i have invented over time, jeez...i want your pink clouds...

moun'ain girl said...

ha! hysterical. my favorite post of yours yet. will you do an expose of my room with its pink bows next week.

Auntie "M" said...

Your mother and I used to have yellow flowers and assorted stripes. Truly not my choice, but I do remember I helped put it up. The worst room in the house was the kitchen! It had pink cabinets! Oh my god! I'll have to try to dig out a picture of that. To this day I detest putting up wall paper and have steadfastly refused to do so...It takes tremendous courage to say no to my mother!

Suzanne Lowell said...

eva, your different room styles sound fabulous.

lesh, love the unicorns and pink and purple. i can just picture it.

jules, perhaps i will do an expose on you, but i doubt it will be about your pink bows...

mj, it is difficult to say no to g'ma t, that i agree.

thanks for reading everybody!